Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library
“The Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted from nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective knowledge of the human species”.
by Carl Sagan.
The Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library was established in 1986. Apart from the main library, it has also departmental libraries. The primary mission of the library is to support the educational and teaching programs of the college by providing physical and intellectual access to information.
The Library building has a built-up area of 2400 sq. mts with a huge collection of 19,486 books and 152 annual subscription journals. It can accommodate 691 students at a time.
It aims to develop a comprehensive collection of documents useful for the faculty and student of the college and to serve as a resource centre for the Health Science Information. The College Library is a member of HELINET Consortium. The collection includes books (print and digital formats), Journals (print and digital formats), SC/ST book bank collection, Dissertations, HELINET consortium resources, CD-ROMS, Video Cassettes, Back volumes of Journals and WHO Publications. The annual budget of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library is over Rs. 1.4 Crore.
|SC/ST Book Bank||447|
HELINET Consortium Resources
The digital library is a gateway to the electronic biomedical literature. The mission of the digital library is to provide an effective and efficient information infrastructure to the central library for providing access to the current and relevant, online resources, nurturing an environment and culture which is helpful in advancing the use of e-learning resources for enabling stakeholders to contribute in the global society. 40 systems have been provided with the objective to make it as the academic hub.
The air-conditioned digital library is supported by 50mbps lease line internet connection and enabled with wi-fi. Access is provided to EPAC (Electronic Public Access Catalogue), helinet consortium resources, e-journals, e-books, and free/open access resources directory. Academic information on CD-ROM, audio and video formats are made available for users. Printing, scanning, unlimited browsing and download facilities are also made available. The video conferencing services help the faculty and the students to widen their knowledge and research and to enhance patient care.
The library is supported with “Newgenlib” open source integrated library management software with all the modules for the library housekeeping operations. The library EPAC provides access to the library catalogue. Users can search the resources by author, title, subject, keyword and access number..
Shri B. M. Patil Medical College Central Library Rules
Introduction & Scope
Rules governing the administration and use of Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library shall come in to force from 4th July 2007 and shall be called as Central Library Rules. It shall be binding on each and every member/user of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library. All the previously existing library rules and practices shall be superseded by these rules.
These rules were framed, modified & adopted by the Library Committee meeting held on 4th July 2007. Further amendments and modifications if any shall be made as and when required by the Library Committee and be incorporated in these rules from time-to-time.
Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library Timings
1.00 am to 10 pm including general holidays and Sunday.
Members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library
The following are the categories of the members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library:
- Teaching faculty of each department of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Tutors of each department of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Retired teachers of Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Post Graduate & Under Graduate students of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
- Ex-students of the Shri B.M. Patil Medical College
Eligibility for membership
The following are the categories of borrowing facility for different user groups, subject to fulfillment of conditions noted below.
- Memberships with Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library deposit
a) All the teaching faculty can become a member of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library, on payment of a library deposit of Rs.500/- (refundable) to Library Teacher Fund (Account No. 170110009465) at ING Vysya Bank, BLDEA Medical College Branch, Vijayapura (Bijapur)
- Membership with annual fees
a) All students (PG/UG) enrolled in the College shall become members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library on producing the receipt of library fees.
b) Post Graduate & Under Graduate students coming for reference work from other College/Institutions have to pay Rs.200/- for a period of less than one month. The subsequent weeks have to pay Rs.50/-. No library material/books will be issued to them out of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library. Any such user who would like to use the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library for more than one month has to take his/her annual membership by paying the annual library fees of Rs.1000/- per year.
- Membership with Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library Deposit and Fees
a) Tutors of the different department of the college on the recommendation letter from the HOD of the Department and on payment of Library Deposit of Rs.11500/- (Refundable) and fees of Rs.500/- per annum.
b) Ex-students of the college can become a member on the recommendation of the principal and paying Library Deposit of Rs.3000/- (Refundable) and fees of Rs. 750 per annum/Rs.250 per month.
- Membership without Library Deposit and Fees
a)The retired teachers of the College are allowed to use the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library for reference free of cost. Hence, they are requested to obtain an identity card for membership from the library.
2. All the above categories of users may fill in the prescribed application and take the photographs from Medical Illustration Department along with necessary receipt/s of the Library fees/Deposits.
3. The faculty members may enroll themselves as Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library member on production of a copy of the appointment orders & deposit receipts.
4. The tutors of the college shall become the member of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library by producing the appointment letter with the payment of library deposit of Rs. 1500/- (Refundable). However, the department should give an undertaking that, they will demand NDC before relieving such tutors, otherwise the department will be responsible for the borrowing of books by such users.
5. Mebership may be cancelled at any time by the Chairman of the Library Committee on the recommendation of the Member Secretary on valid grounds.
The following are the categories of borrowing facility for different user groups, subject to the fulfillment of conditions noted below.
750 per annum
Only reference Visiting PG/UG students from other Colleges/Institution3000250 per month
1000 per annum
Only reference Retired teachers of the CollegeNilNilOnly reference
Rules related to borrowing of books
- Books and other documents borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library should be returned within the prescribed due date, failing which a fine of Rs. 5/- per day for first seven days & Rs. 10/- per day for the subsequent days for the overdue books shall be levied from every user including P.G. Students
- Every member of the teaching faculty must get his/her books renewed once in a year, on or before the last working day of the academic year. Defaulters will not be allowed to borrow the books till they return the books which they have borrowed earlier.
- Books from the special collection, reference books/journals, thesis and dissertations, text books & non-book materials (eg: CD ROM, tapes, etc.) are not to be issued outside the premises of the library. However, the textbooks can be issued overnight and late fee will be charged @ Rs.10/- per book, per day.
- All students shall return books borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library before commencement of the examination and obtain ‘No Due Certificates’ from the library. The name of the defaulters shall be reported to the principal to withheld the examination Hall Ticket and also the marks cards.
- Refund of the library deposit wherever applicable should be claimed by the member within one year from the date of completion of his/her membership.
- The teachers of the college who are transferred to other department should return the books borrowed from the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library and get ‘No Due Certificate’ before they are relieved.
- The teaching faculty of the college who retire (voluntarily or otherwise) shall have to return all their borrowings & procure “No Dues Certificate” from the library in order to enable the college authorities to settle their retirement benefits.
- Books & other reading materials borrowed by any user may be recalled by the librarian any time & should be returned within 24 hours or within the period specified in such communication.
- In case of identity card being lost, duplicate card shall be issued only on the payment of Rs.100/-, along with justification letter for the loss.
- Every reader borrowing library books/other documents shall be responsible for the safe custody and return of the same in undamaged condition. He/she should verify and bring to the notice of the concerned library staff if the book is damaged/mutilated before getting it issued. In the event of its being mutilated/lost, the borrower has to replace the same with a new book or pay ‘Four Times’ the cost of the book. The cost of the book shall be calculated at the current price and exchange rates in case of foreign books/document.
Rules relating to loss of book
Every reader who loses the book must report to the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library immediately and he will be given one month time for finding and returning the book. In case if he/she fails to return the book after one month from the date of reporting, he/she will be charged a fine of Rs.5/- per day, per book, till he/she replaces with a new book of the same title and other details. In case he/she can’t replace the book then he/she will have to pay ‘Four Times’ the cost of the book, subject to a minimum of Rs.500/-, if the cost of the book is less than Rs.125/-. However, the current conversion rate will be counted for foreign books.
Rules for using Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library facilities/services
- Internet/e-journal browsing facility at digital library
All the users of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library who are desirous of using internet and e-journal browsing facility with in the library premises shall have to pay Rs. 500/- annually.
- Reprographic/document delivery services
Xerox facilities/service shall be extended to the members of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library and the charges fixed by the college from time-to-time.Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library will make necessary arrangement to enroll membership to different document delivery services like HELINET, etc., through which reprint/document delivery services shall be extended to library members on their specific request. However, charges/cost if any, involved for such services shall be met by the concerned member.
- Inter-Library loan services
Inter-Library loan facility shall be provided to the members on their request. However, postal and such other costs involved for such services, shall be met by the concerned borrower.Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library shall also provide specialized services such as current awareness service, bibliographic service, database search service, etc., on payment of charges fixed by the college from time-to-time.
Rules for withdrawal of books
Withdrawal of unserviceable/outdated books once in three years, the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library in consultation with the departments should withdraw the unserviceable/outdated books to maintain the latest collections of the library. The process of withdrawal shall be as follows:
- The department shall decide on the books which are to be sent to the compact shelving section.
- Those books that are sent to the compact shelving section, will also be made available in the online catalogue of the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library. Hence, if any books are called back by the users for fairly regular use, then they will be added back to the collection.
- If the books in the compact shelving section are not used continuously for three years, they will be removed from the collection with the approval of the library committee.
- Every reader/user entering the library should keep their belongings at the property counter.
- Every reader/user shall present his/her identity card issued by the principal while entering the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library or on demand by the library staff.
- Every reader/user should enter his/her name and other details in the entry register maintained at the counter.
- Reading room facility for short referencing shall be extended normally to all the visitors with the permission of the Principal / Librarian.
- Loud talking, eating, conversations, smoking, etc., are strictly prohibited in the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library.
- Use of mobile phones within the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library premises is strictly prohibited and penalty of Rs. 100/- will be charged if mobile is carried inside the library without switching it off.
- Manuscripts: Available in the form of dissertation /thesis.
- Reference: All standard reference books are available in the reference section.
- Reprography/scanning of documents: facility is accessible.
- Information Deployment and Notification Available.
- OPAC: Available
- Internet Access (academic sites): Accessible, Free internet facility. 25 systems with internet access to UG students,15 systems with internet access to PGs & Staff
- Downloads (academic resources): Download facility is available
- Printouts (academic content): Printers in the library provide the printing facility to students & faculty
- Reading list / Bibliography compilation: Available
- In-house /remote access to e-resources: Accessible
- User Orientation: Library regularly organizes orientation programmes for UG/PG students and Ph.D research scholars
- Assistance in searching Databases: Assistance is provided as and when needed.
Book selection & Purchase policy
Library Collection Development is an important scientific process of building up a healthy and qualitative collection of books, periodicals & other documents. It should be a continuous process throughout the year. A Library with an efficient Collection Development Policy can build timely and quality collections in support of the academic and research activities of the college. A good book, if not added to the collection is a lacunae whereas a bad book added to the collection is a burden to the Library.
Hence, the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library should take all precautions before purchasing a book and the following necessary policies in this direction. Hence, it is proposed to initiate for a transparent and efficient purchase policy for the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library. This policy cannot be an end in itself. The practical experiences during the implementation of these policies can be a base for important & development of new policies from time-to-time.
Registration of Suppliers
It is proposed to initiate for the registration of book suppliers every year, and they must sign an agreement bond prescribed by the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library. There are several conditions regarding price proof, currency of the publication, etc., which are to be declared by the vendors. Hence, the bond will include an undertaking of the vendor that he will supply only recent edition of the book and will charge only according to the publisher’s catalogue or a copy of the publishers’ invoice, etc. This will enable control of unhealthy competition among the vendors.
Purchase of Books on Approval
It is proposed to create separate “Books on Approval Section” in the Library with necessary facilities. All the interested vendors can send their recent books on approval which will be displayed in this Section. The list of the same will also be made available on the Intranet to all the users of the library. The teachers can fill in the books recommendation forms and send the same to the librarian with the signature of their HOD of the Department for purchase. Books which are not selected will be taken back by the vendors after a stipulated time.
Books selection through publishers catalogues
The Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library will supply the addresses of all the HOD’s of the Departments to all the publishers, so that they can send their catalogues directly to the HOD of the Department and in turn the Chairman with the approval of their Departmental Council shall submit the list of selected books with their recommendations to the library for purchase.
Visits of the publishers representatives
The publishers will send their representatives to major institutions like Universities for the promotion of their books. They can be requested to visit the Departments and promote their books, as they are not the direct sellers. They only create awareness about the recent publications of different subjects. Hence, teachers will be informed of the recent books on their subject. The HOD can send their recommendations to the library for purchase.
Teachers might also get information about books from different journals and reviews. The library will also arrange to circulate review reports to the Department. They may even get information through Internet. In such cases also they can send recommendations through their HOD.
Teachers Visit to Book Shops/ Book Fairs
Teachers when they visit any bookshops in Bijapur city, may bring the details of the books and fill in the recommendation forms so that the Library will make necessary arrangements to procure those books.
Teachers visit to Bookshops/Book Fairs in other cities
If the teachers find a good book during their visit to any book stalls in other cities, they may select book/s and request the vendor to send them to the Shri B M Patil Medical College Central Library on approval basis, which in turn should be recommended by the HOD of the Department. In case if that vendor disagrees to send books on approval, then complete details of the particular book/s can be collected along with the address of the vendor, to enable the library to procure the same book/s.
Students Participation in book selection
Arrangement will be made to locate “Books Recommendation Box” in the library along with books recommendation forms. Any UG/PG student can fill up the form and drop the same in the “Books Recommendation Box”.
The Students/Teachers can also recommend books through the library website under Suggest–a-Book-Column. Periodically the library will consolidate all the recommendations made by the students divide them according to departments and after the duplicate check send them to the respective departments for recommendation of the HOD. Once they are recommended, the library will process the purchase procedure.
Books Purchase on High Priority
Any teachers and UG/PG students can request for purchase of books instantaneously which are urgently required for their use. The same will be procured over telephonic orders within two days. Their request through the Department HOD for immediate purchase will be effected immediately. If the book is not available in the country and whether should be imported, it may take one to three weeks for procuring the book.
Books Selection through exhibitions
The library shall periodically organise book exhibition s inviting all the registered vendors to display their books on the library premises. This shall be communicated to the teachers well in advance. This will enable the teachers to have exposure to the wide choice.
Maximum number of copies to be purchased
If the book is of reference in nature, the library shall purchase maximum two copies. In the case of textbooks, the library shall buy a maximum of ten copies. In exceptional circumstances on the strong recommendation of the Departmental Council, the Chief Librarian at his discretion may procure maximum 5 copies of reference books and 15 copies of textbooks. The Library will decide on the procurement of the books, based on the already existing copies in the library. This will avoid the duplication. In the case of books written/published by the teachers of the college, the library shall purchase a maximum of up to 5 copies.
|Sl. No.||Name of the staff||Qualification||Designation|
|1.||Dr. Shekara H.P.||M.L.I.Sc., M.Phil., B.Ed., PGDHRM, Ph.D||Chief Librarian|
|2.||Smt. S.S. Hiremath||M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil||Librarian|
|3.||Smt. Manjula||M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil., K.SET.,||Librarian|
|4.||Sri S.C. Lalasangi||M.L.I.Sc., PGDHL||Asst.Librarian|
|5.||Shri Shivakumar Acharya||M.L.I.Sc, M.Com, M.Phil, PGDLAN, UGC, NET||Asst. Librarian|
|6.||Shri Harshavardhan S Maga||M.L.I.Sc, B.Ed., K-SET, PGDCA||Asst.Librarian|
|7.||Shri B.D. Biradar||M.A., M.Phil., M.L.I.Sc||FDC|
|8.||Shri R.G. Ambalagi||B.Com, M.L.I.Sc, M.Phil||FDC|
|9.||Shri D.L. Nidoni||M.Com||SDC|
|10.||Shri U.A. Kaladagi||B.A., B.L.I.Sc||Peon|
|11.||Shri S.M. Kadakol||PUC||Peon|
|12.||Smt. D.S. Pujari||PUC||Peon|
|13.||Shri C.S. Kudagi||SSLC||Attender|
|14.||Shri S.S. Nimbal||SSLC||Peon|
|15.||Shri S.G. Hukkeri||SSLC||Peon|
|16.||Shri G.A. Rajput||SSLC||Peon|
Chief Librarian ,
Central Library , BLDE University ,
Shri B. M. Patil Medical College,
Smt. Bangarramma Sajjan Campus,
Solapur Road, Vijayapur – 586103.
Contact No: 08352-264936, 08352-262770. Extn No: 2286/87/88.
Reference and Circulation: 8.00 AM to 10.00 PM.
Library is open on all 365 days,
Reading facility round the clock (24X7) on all the 365 days.